Masaya Great Danes

Masaya Great Danes
Breeding for Balance, Beauty, Health, and Temperament

Saturday, December 6, 2008

puppies' first taste of real food


Lily, I am afraid, is a little spoiled. Often I get home and she and the puppies are hungry, so I clean everyone up (puppies are messy!) and I tell Lily to lay down and nurse her puppies. Then I go and get her food and place it in front of her between her paws so she can eat while she nurses! She likes this. Kinda like breakfast in bed. So today I had been gone for several hours. I got home and quickly cleaned out the whelping box while puppies were screaming at me and trying to escape their temporary confinement. Then I get Lily in, have her lay down, and give her the pups. Now I quickly prepare all the adult girls a mid day snack. Their mid-day snack is dry dog food with yogurt and cottage cheese mixed in. I put her food between her paws like normal and a couple minutes later orange collar boy is over there in her bowl eating with her. Then black collar boy (the big golden boy temporarily in red collar) gets in the bowl too! The food was basically dry with a yogurt and cottage cheese coating, so it was hard for them to swallow. I was a little nervous as they started to choke on the dry kibble and prepared myself for the possiblity of performing the puppy heimlich maneuver. However, they got it down ok. Orange boy lost interest (probably because black was shoving him out), but black boy stayed until the end and was licking the bottom of the bowl. Brindle boy came over to investiagate too, but he lost interest quickly. Tomorrow I am going to make sure and moisten the food with some warm water.

1 comment:

Camille said...

Watch out for those boys! Sounds like they will try anything!! LOL